The first show was held in the Assembly Rooms on the Parage 14th September 1831. The Object of the Show was the encouragement of horticulture in its various branches, by means of premiums to be given for the best specimens of flowers, fruit and vegetables. It was set up by the gentlemen of the area to show off the expertise of their gardeners.
President Mr. E. A. Sandford M.P. John Young of Youngs Nurseries, Elms Parade, Staplegrove was secretary. Number of classes for gardeners of the gentry, fruit 11, vegetables 8, flowers 17, including 8 classes of Dahlias; Nurserymen – fruit 2, flowers 17.